Thursday, May 20, 2010

update on the kindergarden fears

Jenna and I have had some really good talks in the past week or two regarding kindergarden. Some true breakthroughs have been made. Most recently she told her grandma (my mom), "I think I won't like kindergarden very much the first day, but then I think I will start to like it more and more each day after that." No tears, no emotional breakdowns. Just a calm understanding of what is ahead. She is still very clingy to me, which I am embracing and enjoying. I know that she will slowly head out the door and grow up, but while she is looking to nurture our relationship, I am there. Actually, I will always be there, no matter if she wants it or not!! :) We are also trying to balance all the together time with some times of structured independence. We have started something called "creative time!" where she 'gets' to use her imagination and play on her own. And then afterward, she tells me all about what adventure she is on, or what creative thing she did. And she still has quiet time. And also some sister time. And then the rest of the day is time with mom (and then dad when he is home). Its a good balance for us.

And in other news...
The big deal for us around her is that something clicked in Jenna's little brain and all of a sudden she is reading like a big kid! She's been sounding words out for a while, but recently she's breezing through sentences like it's no sweat. She received this card from Mimi the other day and read it on her own, in about a minute. Mimi got to hear her read it that first time, so that was pretty special too.

And just for fun...
The other day, Jenna asked if they could do some kitchen experiments. "Sure, why not" I said! And they had a B-L-A-S-T and have been asking to do it again every day. All I did was set out small bowls of sugar, flour, brown sugar, milk, water, and a cinnamon shaker, and off they went! Jenna learned about what flour does and, and how to make the mix more 'dough-like' or more 'drink-like'. And Elsie learned what a spoonful of flour tastes like :P

4 comments:

Alison said...

I love that "creative time!" has an exclamation point on the end of it. Makes it SO much more exciting when we say it in an excited way. Hoping our "creative time!" will be as successful as yours!

Shellee said...

What a big girl! I'm glad her fears are easing.

How fun to let them play and experiment in the kitchen! What an adventurous mom you are! ;-)

one of nettie's girls said...

How thoughtful to give us an update on the kindergarten fears. I am praying for this everyday. I pray that she will continue to see it as an adventure. You have such wonderful ideas for parenting.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.payloansonline.com]payday advance[/url]
This is the best way to get all your health products online like green coffee, african mango, phen375 and others. Visit now

[url=http://pinterest.com/jahangirsaghani/provillus-hair-loss/]Provillus Men[/url]