Monday, May 17, 2010

Garden

Here's the start of my garden this year. (I find it very helpful to have record on here of what I planted and when so that I can improve things for next year.)

Pots - onions, spinach and beet planted early spring (seed),
and tomato planted this weekend.
Peas planted early spring along side yard
Strawberries, nicely multiplying themselves!
The garden: artichoke, onions, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, spinach and room for more!
New to me this year was starting seeds in the early spring. It's hard to tell but there are three rows of lettuce, each planted about 2-3 weeks apart so that we will have lettuce all summer (that's the hope anyways!). The leafy guy is an artichoke, which is a perennial. And then some onions on the right. Oh, and that blue bucket is filled with potatoes. Those are new for me as well.
This looks kinda lame, but it's cool to me. These are lettuce and green onions from last year's garden. I planted the lettuce seed late summer and it wintered through and then took off growing in the spring. We have been eating from it already! And the green onions are in the process of going to seed so I will be able to plant another batch from the seeds this one is producing (hopefully)! And the front spinach on the right is from seeds last (late) summer too. Then I planted more seeds behind it and we are already eating spinach! I have never had early harvest like this, it's so lovely! And then there is lots more space to plant more right in there.
I planted beans along the front fence line, a little late through. Also some pumpkins. But nothing is showing up here. We'll see what happens.
Blueberries bushes and apple tree in front. Also a bunch of squashy type things will be up here.
So, that is where we are at this year. Jenna and Elsie have a little garden by their playhouse also, and I have two other randomly placed tomatoes near the peas. And some garlic and more new strawberries right out our back door. My heart is happy :)

3 comments:

Renee said...

This. Is. Awesome! I wish I had the motivation....and energy to do this!! ;-) Good for you Megan!

one of nettie's girls said...

Impressive! I love all the freshness but don't like dirt under my nails.

one of nettie's girls said...

Who am I kidding? I just don't like to garden.