Thursday, September 03, 2009

Preserving Tomatoes

In case anyone out there wants to know how to freeze tomatoes, here is a quick step by step...


1. Bring water to a boil, put in tomatoes (I've only tried this with Roma)
2. Boil for about 30 seconds or maybe a minute, then scoop them out and place them in the cold water bath.
3. Where the stem was, make a little X cut (or just stab the top a little with your fingernail) and then start pushing the tomato out of it's skin
5. Plop, it just pops right out! Dispose of skins.
7. Dice tomatoes, put them in storage baggies or old tupperware sour cream containers.
8. Freeze! Use your bag of diced tomatoes as a substitute this winter when recipes call for canned tomato. Great in chili or taco soup, etc etc!!

This week has been busy as we have been babysitting my nephews all week long. And I forget my camera every time! Not that I have much time to whip out a camera with those 6 active kids! But they sure do some camera worthy things! Maybe I will remember tomorrow. But here two pictures from our evenings at home...

Elsie found these, and of course needed them on. Always have to be prepared! There might be a pool to jump in, you just never know.
Jenna with Sammy


1 comments:

Jenne said...

Yes. You never know when a pool might jump out at you. And thanks for watching my boys. What a crazy crew they are when we put them all together.

I am glad you took the time to put the tomato preserving stuff posted. That pile of tomatoes on my counter is going to rot any moment now. GOTTA DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT!!