Sunday, March 22, 2009

Update on our craziness

Thanks everyone for your comments and compassion :) Day one for little Elsie was miserable! I didn't realize how hooked she was on drinking milk from a bottle! (I confess, we used to put her down to bed with a bottle. I hope my dentist and doctor don't read my blog.) She asked for it (cried for it, screamed for it) all day. Oh how she can pull at my heart strings! She only napped for one hour all day long. I tried to put her down several times but she just cried for her bottle, so instead we headed to the mall to play (which by the way was a foolish thing to do on a Saturday!). She also refused to eat or drink anything. WOW. At dinner I basically held her down and shoved some noodle soup in her mouth. She chewed while staring me. Then she opened for another bite. She ended up eating three bowls of soup, a bowl of yogurt, a bunch of pear slices, and drank some juice. Anyways, she was exhausted by 6pm and went right to sleep without much fuss for her bottle. This morning she is still asking for baba (bottle), but when I put her down for a nap without it she only fussed for about 2 minutes, then talked herself to sleep! So, it's getting better already. She won't drink milk out of her sippy. Hopefully that will change in a couple days.


Jenna had a great success, she slept with undies and woke up dry! Hooray! She woke up twice to go potty, once at 10pm and once at 5:30am. It was very encouraging and exciting!

So, there's a deeper look into our personal life :)

6 comments:

Jeremy and RaeAnn said...

Gracie didn't take well to a sippy cup for a while either. We had to go with the Nuby sippys that are soft before transitioning to the regular sippy's. Good luck with both transitions.

one of nettie's girls said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start on both projects. It is sad when they cry for their bottle but it will be so much easier when you don't have to fix them. Don't worry if it's awhile before she will take milk in her sippy. Just make sure to give her dairy in other forms-cheese, yogurt, pudding, milk shakes. There are a lot of ways.

Megan said...

Thanks to both of you. I actually got Elsie to drink milk out of a cup with a straw. And day three has been excellent. I think that we have kicked the bad habit. I didn't think she was going to be a "cold turkey" type of kid, but it was worth a try and it went well!

Tonya said...

I am so glad it went well, this is encouraging to me, since I want to break James of his binky habit soon... at least I know its possible for them to move on from something when they are so attached. I am also happy for you about Jenna, must be nice to be fully done with diapers for one child. Good for you! Go girl!

Mae said...

I'm so glad that it has not taken days and days of Elsie crying for her baba. That is tough. You made it though the toughest time. I am so proud of Elsie and Jenna. Although I get a little sad knowing how fast they are growing up. I miss them daily.
Keep up the great job Megan. You are a SUPER mom. I love you.

Brandy said...

you are such a great mom megan! we have had the bottle battle with grace...it was a doozie! some kids are such creatures of habit and some aren't. way to go!!