Thursday, March 26, 2009

Boo Arthritis

Yesterday my facebook status was "Boo Arthritis". For those who don't know, I have had RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) for about 3 years now, and have experienced tons of pain (on and off) because of it. My doctors now have the disease under control by a weekly shot of Enbrel. Anyways, after a long time of very little pain, I got a flare up yesterday. I woke up with a sore ankle, causing me to limp most of the day. I was bummed! It has been a long time of a pain free lifestyle - running, exercising, yard work, etc. Though I was bummed and in pain, the sore ankle actually brought back a myriad of lessons I have learned from pain over the past couple years, and it was a blessing. It was a reminder that God's grace is sufficient for me because HIS power is perfected in MY weakness. When I am weak physically, I feel weak emotionally as well. But when I depend upon his grace, I am strong spiritually (because I depend on God instead of on myself), which I would prefer to the other two. I wish I had listened more closely to what God was teaching me yesterday because it wasn't until this morning that I realized that I wasn't putting my trust in God.


This morning while cleaning I listened to a chapel message podcast from my almamater, The Master's College. The speaker was Joni Earecklson Tada. It was the exact message I needed to hear. She is a quadrapalegic and has been for 40 years, and now also deals with chronic pain. She has suffered a lot in her life on earth. Obviously much more than I have experienced with RA.

What really hit me in her message was this. She spoke a little about the fact that she looks forward to heaven not only because her body will be healed and she will be able to walk and run and will no longer have pain (this is all great and amazing truth!). But more than a healed body, she looks forward to a healed heart. More than freedom from her wheelchair, she looks forward to a life free from sin. She has the right perspective, and it was just what I needed to hear. Thanks Joni for your message and your testimony. And thank you Lord for the pain that I experience from time to time due to rheumatoid arthritis. Through the pain, I learn so much.

6 comments:

Ginger@chirgies said...

Wow. Megan, thanks for sharing your heart - and what you're learning. Have you read the Gift of Pain by Yancy and Brand? I haven't, but have heard really good things about it from different people I respect.

Sometimes I think we miss a lot of what God is trying to teach us, espec. through pain or frustrating circumstances.

Faith said...

Thanks for sharing. What a great perspective you have on this whole thing. My brother in law has been suffering a lot lately. Health is so easily taken for granted. I am glad that you are learning something through your pain. It's inspiring.

one of nettie's girls said...

It's interesting how God is ready to teach us so much when we are forced to stop and listen. I will be praying for you.

Mae said...

Mingy: You are an amazing daughter-in-love. I love you dearly and am so grateful when the Lord shines brightly throughout your illness your motherhood, your position as wife...Your walk with our Lord continues to encourage me in so many ways.
My prayers are with you as is the medical knowledge that the Lord continues to show me. He is an amazing God...Lots of love sweet one. I miss you..

Jenne said...

I love you sister. i hate it that you spend even one afternoon in pain. But I am thankful that the Lord can use this to mold you into His likeness.

keely steger said...

wow.
that's all.