Sunday, February 08, 2009

Pneumonia

We had to go to the ER last night for Elsie. She started getting sick a couple days ago, and then yesterday afternoon she got pretty bad. She was wheezing, and struggling to breathe and could hardly stay awake for more than 10 minutes. Why is it that kids always get sick on the weekends?! So, off to the ER we went. I headed to Adventist this time, knowing that Ang was working there. I am SO VERY THANKFUL that I made that decision. It was amazing to have my best friend take care of my baby girl. I felt very confident and at ease as Ang and the doctor took care of Elsie. They had to take a chest x-ray which was pretty miserable, and from the x-ray diagnosed pneumonia. They got her on antibiotics and sent us home. THANK YOU ANG! And also thanks to Missy, the triage nurse who helped us in the waiting room. God really blessed us and took care of us in a special way by allowing Ang and Missy to be there. Anyways, Elsie is doing a little better today. She isn't eating or drinking much and she is still coughing (and having the grossest diapers in all of history), but she is more alert and awake. We will be heading to the doctor in the next day or two to make sure she is recovering okay.


Meanwhile, Jenna woke up with a bad cough this morning. She seems fine, I think the cough is just left over from the cold she had the past couple days. But she made a big deal about it since Elsie was getting the extra attention. That's okay :) I let her watch an extra show or two, gave her a little medicine, and gave her a warm bath to clear her system. I was explaining to her that the warm bath was producing steam that would help clear her nose. She was pretty fascinated by that, and after her bath said this...
"Mom, I'm really clear! Even if I try to pick my nose I can't get any boogers!"

Kids are so funny. Anyways, we are doing pretty well considering. The house is a disaster, but oh well. Dinner will be left overs, which is awesome.

The weekend was really quite eventful. Not only a trip to the ER, but also Eric and I got a DATE NIGHT on Friday (before Elsie was really sick). We had so much fun. First we used a Christmas gift card at Outback (oh yum!) and then off to the theater for two, yes TWO movies! First we saw Paul Blart Mall Cop, and then Slumdog Millionaire. Talk about two very different movies! Both were great, for very different reasons. The kids spent the night at my parents house and Eric and I slept in until 9am! WOW. Amazing.

So, that was our weekend.


7 comments:

Irene said...

Oh so sorry to hear about your tough weekend! How scary to have your little girl having a hard time breathing...at least you have turned the corner:)

one of nettie's girls said...

Glad about the date night. But, sorry about the sickness and craziness. I hope everyone is better.

CarrieM said...

Here I was, so glad we hadn't come see you, because we all ended up sick, (the baby with croup), and we didn't even seem to save you any illness. I'm glad things are going better. I'm pretty grateful for medical professionals at these moments...

Tonya said...

Jam packed full of everything! Sounds like a memorable one! At least Elsie is doing better.... it always happens that they get sicker on the weekends, why is that?

Faith said...

Poor Elsie! Again, I am so glad Ang was there to be with Elsie..what a comfort. Please let me know if there is anything I can do! I'm really glad you guys had such a fun date..that's funny because just a couple weeks ago Bryan and I used a christmas gift card to Outback. yum! Good to hear those movies are good too, where did you see them??

Faith said...

ps. i LOVE your new background:)

Megan said...

Carrie, you need to start a blog! I want to see pictures of and hear stories about your kids! And let's be sure to reschedule soon. I hope your family is healing well too!!!