Tuesday, January 27, 2009

California

Our trip to California was great. It was a good time with Eric's family, the funeral for his grandma was very nice, and the whole trip went well. Beware, TONS of pictures to follow...


On the plane, very early in the morning. We were separated by an aisle,
me and the girls on one side, Eric on the other. The girls did so well on the
flight, and everyone was so nice to us! It was a great start to a long (but good) day.

Right when we got there, we went for naps at Aunt Pam and Uncle Tim's (and Alison's) and then got ready for the funeral. The girls were so excited to see Poppy! Elsie hasn't seen him in person for over a year (we see them on ichat often - so it's like she watches movies with Mimi and Poppy as the star all the time), and she kept looking at him, suspiciously, like he was a movie star or something :)

This is at the graveside. Elsie and I were in the car (she fell asleep on the short drive from the funeral home to the graveside - see next picture) so I didn't hear what was said, but from what I am told, it was very special for the whole family.

And then to the beach. Sigh. It was beautiful, warm, so very lovely.

Jenna and cousin Alison. Alison was able to convince
Jenna to put her toes in the ocean! Quite impressive!



I am pretty sure that Mim and Poppy enjoyed their grandbabies :)

Across the street from our hotel in Monterey was the Dennis The Menace Park. It was amazing, tons of play structures one for every age range, a ridiculously long bridge, rock walls, sand, an old train to explore, a maze leading to another play structure, and much more! Here's Jenna with Dennis.

Elsie LOVED the slide...
AND the swing. It was cute to watch her attempt the slide on her own!

And lastly, the flight home. A beautiful sunset, and two amazing little girls who did great even with little sleep and constant activity. It was a great time together.


6 comments:

one of nettie's girls said...

I am glad your trip was good in spite of the reason for it. Family times are always precious. So are your girls!

Faith said...

Glad you had a good trip. I don't know if this is appropriate under the circumstances, but the girls looked beautiful in those dresses! Glad you found something!

Irene said...

I'm sorry for the circumstances for your trip but it looks like you had some great moments. You know, I grew up going to Dennis the Menace Park and every visit home I take the kids. It is so much fun. I love how you make the most of every opportunity and how close your are to your family, on both sides. Your family is precious!

Jenne said...

What a great time to spend with the family. The girls look like they were genuinely enjoying themselves. I know you were exhausted when you came home but I am so glad you were able to go and spend this extra time with Mimi and Poppie!

Mae said...

me too Megan! Thanks so much for bringing them. They brought so much light and joy to me at a real dark time in the loss of my little mom. When I saw them a huge relief came over me and much joy. They are my pride and joys. Again, I say thanks...

Rebecca B said...

Love the new background and all the pics! You have such a beautiful family :)