Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Survival

Today when I picked up Elsie (13 months old) from the Good Shepherd nursery, the helper looked at me and said,


"She is not the same girl! She has changed so much even since last week! It's like she turned into a willful two year old!"

Don't worry, I wasn't offended. In fact I was comforted a bit that other people see what I have been seeing for the past several days. In some ways I feel like I am in survival mode (you know the mode, just doing the necessities, not caring too much about the details of life, feeling blessed to get a shower, etc) because there is very little rest when she is awake. Now don't get me wrong, she is DELIGHTFUL in millions of ways! But embracing the fact that I am in survival mode has taken some stress off my shoulders, allowed me to release some of the standards I hold myself to, and has been a relief. Now, it's nap time so I better go get something done - it's now or never!

7 comments:

Jenne said...

Yes, it is now or never to get things done. (Currently, I vote for never.) Night-night!

Jenne said...

And I am so soory that you are in survival mode, but it is good to let go of the non-essentials while you are in this season. You are a very wise woman, you know.

Curtis and Jane said...

Hang in there!

one of nettie's girls said...

Repeat after me "Now it's nap time-I better go TAKE A NAP!" Take care of yourself so you can take care of them. They grow up so fast you don't want to miss it. Trust me. My eleven year old has turned into a young adult in front of my eyes!

one of nettie's girls said...

I went from your blog to Keely's. Hmmmmmm. Take a look at it.

Tonya said...

I can relate more than you know right now, sounds like James and Elsie are very similar in personality...... hang in there girl!

Pollock Family said...

Good luck! It's nice to know other mom's are just trying to keep their homes from catching on fire too:) I came out of my shower this morning to see our 2 year old with my lip gloss ALL over the couch... so much for the relaxing shower was obviously over.