Monday, November 17, 2008

Progress?

I have been trying hard lately to praise Jenna whenever I see her treating her sister with kindness. We are in a bit of a hard season here at the Wood home, but we will make it through, by the grace of God and with lots of prayer and with some consistency. (We have a cranky one year old who wants so badly to walk and talk but can't so she whines about it all day, and who has two teeth trying to break through, and who could really use a bit more naptime sleep but is in the bad habit of pooping during nap number two - sorry for TMI - and thus ending the nap. And we have a three year old who has figured out exactly how to push this mama's buttons and who is showing a lot of sibling rivalry or jealousy or something.)


ANYWAYS...

Today Jenna decided to share the pots and pans she was using as drums with Elsie (four o'clock dinner prep is such a peaceful quiet time at our home - HA). So I took her aside and said, "Jenna I saw how you just shared your drums with your sister and I am so proud of you!" She said to me with a big smile, "yes, the first time I didn't share but then the next time I DID share". And so I hugged her and asked, "and how did your heart feel? Did it feel so good to share?" And Jenna said.... "Actually, it felt pretty good both times."

Sigh. At least she shared. It's progress I suppose.

9 comments:

Glamorous Life of a House Wife said...

Haha, hilarious. I bet you will be so glad you shared all of these kiddo stories one day as you go back and re-read them. So cute!

Eric 'n Leah said...

Your description of Elsie right how (nap, poop, frustrated teething non-walker) is EXACTLY where Maggie was at at this age. I totally know how you feel!! I kept telling myself: This too shall pass....
:-)

Jenne said...

I love th elevel of honesty you can always expect from Jenna. Priceless!

Heidi said...

Good job with the praise! I try to do it with Julia too. I really don't think she can understand the happy heart too much, but Julia understands a happy mom, and happy Cole and I think that will eventually translate into a happy Julia because she made us happy. (sorry, i'm not a writer!). Every once in a while I will give her an extra something with the praise, like a chocolate chip. It just helps her to really understand how happy we are with her.

Ginger@chirgies said...

Ya, you gotta love her honesty. :) Persevere!!! It's building character right? Hers.. or yours... or both?

Bronwyn said...

Ha! Love it. Hang in there you awesome Momma! Miss you!

Pate Family said...

At least she didn't say that she felt even better the time she didn't share:) I have tried to brainwash my kids from the very beginning by constantly telling them that the are such good big/little brother/sister and how lucky they are that God has given them a best friend in their family. Even when they haven't been nice, I will comment to the older one how lucky that their sibling is that they get to see how to sit up at the table like a big boy or whatever, just to find something to be able to say that they are doing positively for their sibling. I also always say to the baby (when the bigger one can overhear, but maybe is in a different room so they don't know it is for their benefit) "You are so lucky that you have ____ to show you how fun it is to play with legos. I think this can totally turn around a day, or even season, when they are not being the best big sibling.

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

You are such a good mommy! Hang in there!!

Blessings,
Joy

Sovann Pen said...

LOL @ "Actually, it felt pretty good both times."

That...is...awesome.

Hang in there.
Your girls are such cuties but that doesn't make you feel good I suppose. I got a bit stressed just reading this post and took a deep breath.