Sunday, August 10, 2008

Recipes

I am in the process of making a list of all my favorite recipes so that when I meal plan for the week I have a list to go to when my mind goes blank and all I can think of is "burritos, spaghetti, eggs and toast...). So far I have listed 29 meals that I know my family loves and a few new ones that I want to try in the next week or two. My plan is to continue adding to this list as I try new recipes that the family enjoys. On the list I put where each recipe is found (cookinglight.com, betterhomes cookbook, family cookbook, etc) so that I can easily find the recipe when making my grocery list. Now I know that I could go a few steps further and put it all in the computer and have a grocery shopping list automatically made for the meals I choose for the week, but for now I just want a place to go when my creativity is at a low.

Lately I have been trying a lot of new recipes. Partly because of the contest we have at choose to bloom, and partly because I am bored with my current recipes. I have found some DE-LISH meals that the family loves!!


I was looking for a new way to enjoy green beans and found this recipe on www.cookinglight.com.  I was surprised how much I like it because I am not a big pork fan.  Here's the recipe, and of course a picture from when I cooked it :)

Pork, Cashew, and Green Bean Stir-fry

Ingredients
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices 
4 cups (2-inch) cut green beans (about 1 pound)
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
Cooking spray
1 to 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 cups hot cooked rice
1/4 cup chopped unsalted cashews, toasted

Preparation
Combine the soy sauce and cornstarch in a medium bowl, and add pork, stirring to coat. Cover and chill.
Place beans in a large saucepan of boiling water, and cook 5 minutes. Drain beans; plunge into ice water. Drain.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add pork mixture; stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in green beans; stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes or until pork is done. Stir in broth; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes. Serve over rice; sprinkle with cashews.

1 comments:

HollyGoLightly said...

Megs - I totally want to enter your recipe contest - gotta find some people to cook for this week - but I'll try my best - I've got some great recipes from my mom!