Friday, May 30, 2008

Good questions and some other thoughts

Today while driving in the car, Jenna asked about a man walking on the sidewalk, "Why does that man have a candle in his mouth?"  (he was smoking a cigarette) 


And when I told Jenna that Jackson and Davis were going to a wedding, she asked, "Will Jackson get to dance with a princess?"  

Jenna and I had a very fun day today.  She is turning into such a wonderful young lady, who I genuinely enjoy spending time with.  I was reading in a lawn chair while she was swinging, and she decided that she wanted to read with me.  So for 45 minutes, she sat in her chair with her books and her water cup, and I sat in mine with my book and we read together (but our own books).  She would ask an occasional question, but for the most part we just read quietly in the sun.  She loved every moment of our mature time together.  I have been thinking a lot lately about my relationship with Jenna.  For a long time I was frustrated by the amount of time she wanted to spend with me.  She would rather help me with the laundry or dishes than play by herself.  And she would rather I play with her than her watch tv by herself.  And though I have worked at helping her enjoy time by herself, I have also come to realize that all the quality time we have spent together for the past three years has really bonded us.  She respects my authority, I have the opportunity to be very consistent with her because we are together so much, and I have been able to teach her a lot of fun things in the kitchen, the yard, in books, and in pretend play.  It is a blessing to watch her mature right before my eyes.  And from what I am understanding about motherhood and being a stay at home mom, this is my role.  My number one priority as a stay at home mom is training my kids, loving them so much, giving them a ton of consistency, teaching them to obey authority, and most of all to point them continually toward God.  

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  Galatians 6:9

By the way, please don't read this and think we have the perfect relationship and always have these great moments.  I mess up all the time, and she pushes the limits.  But today was one of those days where I could look and see a little of the fruit of my labor.  It's so good to step back and look how my everyday life is affecting my girls - good to see the good and even better to see the bad ways I am affecting them so that I can CHANGE and glorify God more and more in all I do.

4 comments:

Faith said...

Perfect timing for that blog. I needed that little bit of encouragement. Peyton has been EXTRA dependent lately. (which I didn't think was possible) Anyway, I have been really irritated and needing my own space. Thank you for the reminder that the time I get with her is precious and it's my role to care for her, guide her and walk beside her even if sometimes she walks a little too close:) Glad you had such a good day with her..sounds nice sitting together like that!

Brandy said...

You know what I love about you Megan? You love being a mom and it shows in almost every post you do. I am inspired by your honesty and love for your girls. You are just a wonderful mama.

mikeandirene said...

Very encouraging my friend. I needed to hear that. Our kids are so precious!

Jenne said...

You are a great mom, Meg.