Monday, April 07, 2008

Running errands

I realized this morning that today was errand running day, and that I needed to go to...

1. Winco (groceries)
2. Walmart (store brand formula that works for Elsie)
3. Freddies (store brand pull up that works for Jenna)
4. costco (frozen chicken and a few other things)
5. Albertsons (to use a great Albertson coupon for cereal that expires very soon).  

Hmmm.  Two kids, one who takes 3-4 naps a day.  I wish I could do it all in one outing and save some gas like that commercial tells us to do.  But it is noon and we made it only to Winco.  I'm thinking I won't be able to do everything today.   Winco wears me out!  The whole trip was fine until the last 15 minutes when Elsie was DONE being in her carseat (she tries with all her strength to get out by lifting her head and feet into the air for a good 20 second stretch).  We made it home and one child is crying out of hunger, and the other is following me around as I go in and out to bring in the groceries, asking if she can have a snack, if she can have lunch, if I will help her ride her bike, if we can PLEASE go to Fred Meyer so that she can play in the play area (Cherry park has child care!), etc.  My eyes are starting to cross!  I send Jenna to her room for "free time", put all the groceries on the counter, make a bottle and feed Elsie.  This is what makes the grocery trip take ALL morning!  It isn't the actual time AT Winco, it is all that comes with it.  I feed Elsie, put her down for a nap, make Jenna's lunch, heat up some left overs for myself, and eat while putting the dishes into the dish washer and the groceries away.  So, does this sound familiar to anyone out there?

11 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Unfortunately, YES YES YES. In fact, today I have a couple errands to run and I am still at home- I just keep finding reasons to put them off for the very reasons you blogged. With just one child, we off to an activity or errand in the morning and more in the afternoon. Now, I much prefer to stay home, let the kids play, do a few crafts, and avoid that stress...but, with the fridge empty and the last piece of bread eaten, I suppose I'll have to got out soon!

Ben & Tera said...

Megan! You totally made me smile. I just try and remember the we will be leaving the house to take the kids to school in a few years and then we will have no excuse to have days were we sit in our P.J's all day. Have one of those tomorrow, you deserve it:)

Alison said...

I know that some day we'll look back and wish that we could relive these days, but I totally get what you're saying. Especially with the nap stuff. Jack took forever to nurse and slept a ton, combined with us living in Sandy meant that I didn't get anything done.
I agree with Tera, you deserve a day in your pjs. Although, for me that would mean that I would have to do the laundry so that I would actually have something to wear.
Maybe we could just cut sleep out of our schedule?

Faith said...

oh, all too familiar. I'm tired just reading it.

Tonya said...

I only have one and it sounds familiar! It can be rough some days to get everything done you want to do! I actually think it is impossible!

Shellee said...

I have a hard enough time shopping with one! Is this what I have to look forward to? Oh the joys of motherhood! ;-)

Jenne said...

I remember a season when the only time i could get out of the house to grocery shop was before my baby's first nap - which meant leaving the house for Winco BEFORE the banana man had even brought his boxes into the aisle. There is nothing worse in the glover family than coming home from a grocery shopping trip sans bananas. I may as well not have made the trip at all!

Good news: it gets easier and easier... until #3 comes along. I refuse - REFUSE - to go with all of them. Thank the Lord for Kindergarten (and babysitters)!

Echternach Family said...

All to familiar in deed! But in the same breath I would have to say that I love it and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

keely steger said...

thank you for the heads up about that bible. it looks fantastic, and i'm definitely getting it!

Brandy said...

Um, yeah. I echo Jenne though- it does get easier as they get older. I can be out for a large chunk of time now and no one falls apart until we are in the car and on our way home. That is progress for me!

In this stage of life everything just takes longer to do. You are such a great mom:)

-The Riegelmann Family- said...

Oh, the joys of having two kids! I'm right there with ya. Sometimes it seems easier to just not leave the house but who could live like that. Hope you have easier and more stressless days soon.