Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Reading books

My husband has been reading a lot this past year, and it has recently inspired me to get back into books.  Last year I went through a phase of reading classics and then recommendations.  I read The Catcher in the Rye, and To Kill a Mockingbird.  I read Wicked:  The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, and several others that I can't remember right now.  I read lots of books that I had read once in high school but this time around I actually really enjoyed them.  

So I am back to it.  My new list of 'must reads' is long and I am very excited about it.  My dear cousin (in-law) Keely is an avid reader and I get many of my recommendations from her.  Currently I am reading one she recommended called A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  I am really enjoying it so far.  The last chapter I read was beautifully written.  It was a mother talking to her daughter who had just given birth her very first child.  The new mom was terrified.  She was terrified that she couldn't give her new daughter a life better than hers.  And hers had been filled with poverty.  The wise mother of this new mom told her what to do.  She told how to advance her child in this life.  The mother was illiterate, but the daughter could read.  Still a poor family, at least the new generation had advanced in literacy.  Now her job was to read to her new baby daughter every day.  One page from Shakespeare, and one page from the Bible.  This next generation would be another step ahead.  She also told her to save 5 cents each day and once she had $50 to buy some land to pass on to her child.  How? the daughter asked.  And the wisdom of saving a few pennies was shared.  This illiterate woman had learned much in life, and was imparting her wisdom upon her scared young daughter who was now a mother.  It was really quite beautiful.  

Anyways, I just wanted to share with you my love for books.  And I want to encourage you to visit my husbands book blog titled Logic or Kebobs?   He reads a ton and is now blogging about it.  Currently he is reading Future Grace by John Piper.  

Next on my list is either The Secret Life of Bees or A Wrinkle in Time.  Both recommendations from Keely.

4 comments:

Greg and Andrea said...

Oooo, I really liked The Secret Life of Bees. I've read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, too. What else is on your list? I'm always looking for another good book.

keely steger said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you're enjoying the book! I loved that part as well, and I agree, the book is beautifully written. Good choice. Wrinkle will be a very fast read, though both books are very enjoyable, for very different reasons.
Yay for reading!

The Frederick Family said...

I have a copy of the Secret life of Bees that you are more than welcome to borrow if you like.

Jenne said...

A Wrinkle In Time was great. I had totally forgotten about it. It's funny because I think I have that book and "Phantom Tollbooth" all mixed up in my head as though they are one book. I think I need to re-read A Wrinkle.