Monday, November 05, 2007

We're moving to Illinois.

Not really. But it is tempting since I hear they don't do this silly "daylight savings" thing. Our sleep deprived family is now getting even less sleep since our 2-year-old didn't get the memo about GAINING an hour of sleep. The little girl who wakes at 6:32am every morning whether we put her to bed at 7pm or at 8:30pm is now waking at 5:32am, thanks to daylight savings. Shortly after I have her back in bed (not asleep but at least not keeping us up), our newborn cries for her early morning feeding. Argh. Parenting is hard enough, and trying to parent on no sleep is nearly impossible. All I can do is rely on the strength and patience given by the Lord to get me through these hard days. From the very start we are taught as parents that we need the Lord each moment of each day.

So, I can make it through. I can be patient when my toddler sings Barney's "I love you, you love me..." during our entire 40 minute shopping trip. I can check my anger when she decides that nap time is optional and fights going down for almost an hour. It's funny... I have been teaching Jenna a song called "patience" for the past month or so. More often than not I am the one who really needs to hear it. Does anyone remember this song? It goes like this...

Have patience, have patience
Don't be in such a hurry
When you get impatient,
you only start to worry.
Remember, remember
that God is patient too.
Just think of all the times when others
have to wait for you.

The day is looking up. Jenna has now been napping for over 2 hours, and Elsie is sleeping well also. It is amazing how distorted my view of life can become with a major lack of sleep. It is no excuse. This is when character shows through the most. And I am obviously in need of some character building. Thank you Lord for life's challenges.

3 comments:

Greg and Andrea said...

You've got such a good attitude, even in the midst of a difficult time. I do remember that song! In fact, I've taught it to my kids who sing it now whenever I ask them to have patience. I, too, have found that it benefits me more than them most of the time!

faith said...

I'm right there with you on the need for character building and SO with you on the lack of sleep thing..I'm on my 9th week:) Hang in there and remember how quickly it gets better...pretty soon you won't even remember these days until you read back on your blog..they FLY by. (I know that is no comfort when you are IN it) you are doing GREAT and have more patience than I ever will! Call me if you want to bring Jenna over anytime, seriously! the girls can play and you can sleep while Elsie sleeps. I had several people offer me the same thing, I never took them up on it and I WISH I had! please do...or I'll call you and come take Jenna away:)

keely steger said...

i DO remember that song! We sing it often in our house as well. I taught it to Charles before Noah was born (because it's certainly not his strong suit) and now he sings it to Noah as well. I believe he sang it just this morning while we were reading and Noah desperately wanted to get down from the breakfast table.